Table of Contents
The magazine of the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Vol. 39, No. 1 • Fall 2014
Members of Geisel's Class of 2014 are helping fill the primary care gap by pursuing residencies in family medicine.
Alumnus Tommy Clark—a passionate soccer fan himself—uses the game's international appeal to combat the spread of HIV.
The medical curriculum trains students in the less concrete aspects of the profession of medicine.
In the early 19th century, Nathan Smith was among those trying to understand the scourge of dysentery.
Notes from the Field
By Isaac Maro, MD, MPH ('09)
Building capacity and hope in Tanzania
Tommy Clark founded the nonprofit organization Grassroot Soccer, which uses soccer, and the prestige of soccer stars, to educate youth in Africa about HIV.
Dartmouth Medicine seeks to convey the breadth and depth of the education, research, and patient-care and service activities of the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth. The magazine provides a place for members of the Geisel community to share their experiences and to learn about the experiences of others, and it hopes to inspire reflections on and conversations about vital issues in health care and medical education.
- Students take the lead at Claremont health clinic
- Fifty years of dedication
- Epigenetics and development
- Paving the path from Dartmouth College to Geisel
- Indoor tanning carries outsized risk
- New device may speed up HIV testing in the developing world
- Shorts: Measure twice
- Shorts: Stimulating brain research
- Shorts: Helping physicians help patients
- Overheard: Nick Stadlberger, Leslie Henderson, William Black,
H. Gilbert Welch
Voices of Geisel
- Philanthropy in action
- Donors look to the future of neuroscience
- Collaborative spirit inspires endowed chair
- Foundation funding advances the fight against MRSA
- Fund for Geisel is a team effort
- A lifetime of caring
Art of Medicine
STAFF & CONTRIBUTORS
If you'd like to offer feedback about Dartmouth Medicine, we'd welcome getting your comments at DartMed@Dartmouth.edu.