Table of Contents
A Magazine for Alumni and Friends of Dartmouth Medical School and Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
Vol. 34, No. 1 • Fall 2009
Medicine in the Mountains
By Rosalie Hughes and Katherine Kosman
The people of the Himalayas live amid the world's highest peaks but suffer some of its lowest health indicators. Two young women with Dartmouth ties—a recent graduate of Dartmouth College and a current student at Dartmouth Medical School—recently traveled with health-care teams to remote villages there.
A pair of Dartmouth Medical School researchers has become increasingly wise to the ways of the circadian clocks that control the daily routines of virtually every organism on Earth—from human beings to the simple fungus that they study.
By Robert Martensen, M.D.
Two comatose teenage boys, 20 years and 200 miles apart, lead a noted ethicist and medical historian to ponder the nature of personhood—the nuances of determining if and when death is inevitable. This feature is excerpted from a new book by a DMS alumnus.
Prayer flags fluttering from stores and trees, stunning scenery, and grinding medical hardships: these are among the memories that two young women came away with from their time in the Himalayas. The related feature is titled "Medicine in the Mountains". The cover photo is by Katherine Kosman, DMS '11.
Dartmouth Medicine seeks to convey the breadth and depth of the education, research, and clinical activities of DMS and DHMC; to serve as a publication of historical record; to stimulate thought and discussion on issues in medicine and medical education; and to reflect the range of opinions and activities among Dartmouth medical students, faculty, and alumni. Abbreviations used in these pages include DMS (Dartmouth Medical School), DHMC (Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center), MHMH (Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital), and DC (Dartmouth College). The opinions of contributors do not necessarily reflect those of DMS or DHMC.
STAFF & CONTRIBUTORS
By Dana Cook Grossman
- Oh, baby! Just look at the results of this study
- Are NCI centers the cream of the crop?
- Do follow-up MRIs one-up mammography?
- The mind matters in disease recovery
- The low-down on low-back surgery
- Eat, drink . . . and be wary of drugs
- Aiming a knock-out blow at malaria
- Research briefs
- "Integrated system" is a vague term, but a far-reaching concept
- Facts & Figures
- Advice? Check. Award? Check. Must be Class Day!
- Keene has a vision of health, not just health care
- Medical student takes a detour, on two wheels
- To grandmother's house we go, on film
- Clinical Observation
- Stanching the hemorrhage of health-care data
- Investigator Insight
- Lakeside ALS cluster draws attention but is still unexplained
- Media Mentions: DMS and DHMC in the news
- Worthy of Note: Honors, awards, appointments, etc.
- Then & Now
- News Briefs
Point of View
"A giant impact"
By Stephen H. Hennigan, M.D.
By Vijay Thadani, M.D., Ph.D.
"Found in conversation"
By Omri Ayalon
Transforming Medicine Campaign
"Scholarship gift honors the Wrights"
By Kate Villars
"David W. Roberts, M.D.: Neurosurgical navigator"—By Jennifer Durgin
"Charles Staley, M.D., '87: An orderly career"—By Rosemary Lunardini
Art of Medicine
If you'd like to offer feedback about Dartmouth Medicine, we'd welcome getting your comments at DartMed@Dartmouth.edu.