Table of Contents
The magazine of the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Vol. 36, No. 3 • Spring 2012
The nation's fourth-oldest medical school becomes the Audrey and Theodor Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth.
By Krista Langlois
Two medical students are bringing health care to Vermont's migrant farm workers.
Truth in Numbers
By Cathy Shufro
A husband-and-wife team takes on medical misinformation.
Recent additions to the faculty talk about why they came to Dartmouth—and what their experience has been so far.
Dartmouth Medicine seeks to convey the breadth and depth of the education, research, and clinical activities of DMS and DHMC; to serve as a publication of historical record; to stimulate thought and discussion on issues in medicine and medical education; and to reflect the range of opinions and activities among Dartmouth medical students, faculty, and alumni. Abbreviations used in these pages include DMS (Dartmouth Medical School), DHMC (Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center), MHMH (Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital), and DC (Dartmouth College). The opinions of contributors do not necessarily reflect those of DMS or DHMC.
STAFF & CONTRIBUTORS
- Research raises concerns about arsenic in rice
- Bacteria stay safe by staying still
- Inflammatory findings about cortisol
- New brain probe traces tumors
- Training the brain to overcome deficits
- AAAS honors three researchers
- Preparing medical students for a changing profession
- Adding bioinformatics expertise
- President of Kosovo visits Dartmouth, bestows honor on Strickler
- Dartmouth opens primary-care clinic just steps from campus
- Making medical matches
- Learning to share the decision-making process
- Geisel students build a passion for urban health
- Byock publishes book
- Worthy of Note: Honors, awards, appointments, etc.
"Robert Wood Johnson Foundation extends support for Dartmouth Atlas"
"Roshini Pinto-Powell, M.D.: Those who can, teach"
—By Rosemary Lunardini
"Daniel Lucey, M.D. '81: Outbreak expert"
—By Laura Stephenson Carter
"The 85 percent"
—By Marcella Lucas
—By Barry Smith, M.D.
Art of Medicine
"A New Lease"
—By Benjamin Blais
If you'd like to offer feedback about Dartmouth Medicine, we'd welcome getting your comments at DartMed@Dartmouth.edu.