Table of Contents
A Magazine for Alumni and Friends of Dartmouth Medical School and Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
Vol. 35, No. 3 • Spring 2011
Medicine's healing powers sometimes go beyond the physical. Two Dartmouth medical students found that was the case when they volunteered, in successive summers, at a nonprofit organization in Israel. There, they saw Israelis and Palestinians overcoming decades of conflict to work side by side caring for children with serious heart defects.
Often confused with hospice care, palliative care is, at its core, about caring. About caring for the patient, not just the patient's disease. About simply being present for patients, as Ira Byock, the nationally prominent director of the DHMC palliative care program, puts it. Here's a look at just what that means.
By Conner M. Moore, M.D.
A DMS graduate who spent 40 years practicing pediatrics in a small town on the Maine coast reflects on the high points, the humor, and the occasional heartbreak of caring for kids.
Thanks to the kindness of several DHMC patients, our cover story in this issue offers a close look at palliative care—care, that is, that's aimed at alleviating symptoms, often alongside but sometimes instead of curative care. See here for more images and insights into the subject. The cover image is by Jon Gilbert Fox.
Dartmouth Medicine seeks to convey the breadth and depth of the education, research, and clinical activities of DMS and DHMC; to serve as a publication of historical record; to stimulate thought and discussion on issues in medicine and medical education; and to reflect the range of opinions and activities among Dartmouth medical students, faculty, and alumni. Abbreviations used in these pages include DMS (Dartmouth Medical School), DHMC (Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center), MHMH (Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital), and DC (Dartmouth College). The opinions of contributors do not necessarily reflect those of DMS or DHMC.
STAFF & CONTRIBUTORS
- Trial tests cancer vaccine made from tumor cells
- Study documents veterans' diagnoses
- International HIV trial is halted
- Aviation approach saves lives in the OR
- McAllen versus El Paso, Part II
- Cancer care: "Tragic underservice"
- Inducing immunity without autoimmunity
- Research briefs
- National collaborative will mine health data in search of gold
- No more singing the blues about OR waste
- Use of blood drops during cardiac surgery
- Dartmouth is a top performer in federal project
- Clinical Observation
- Facts & Figures
- A research pipeline from Tanzania to DMS
- Investigator Insight
- Dartmouth supports effort to HEAL the region
- DMS students find elders "kind" and "witty"
- Granite State premeds try DMS on for size
- DMS research income totals $160 million in FY10
- Media Mentions: DMS and DHMC in the news
- Worthy of Note: Honors, awards, appointments, etc.
- Then & Now
- News Briefs
Point of View
Art of Medicine
If you'd like to offer feedback about Dartmouth Medicine, we'd welcome getting your comments at DartMed@Dartmouth.edu.